3D painting


A couple of days ago, the XBR looked like this:

Stripped!

Stripped!

What has happened??? Well, I had decided to start the painting of the fairing. At the same time I needed to change back the bike to a normal state to pass the road test. It is only due in June, but I want to continue to change the bike to ‚rally mode‘ and switching back later is too late. So I went to Germany today and passed the test without any problem. On the way back it was snowing! Chilly, chilly.

New All-day-long seat from Russell (right) compared to the normal XBR seat (left)

New All-day-long seat from Russell (right) compared to the normal XBR seat (left)

It was also a test ride with my new Russell seat that has arrived this morning from California. Wow! It not only looks big, it IS enormous. But what a comfort! I only rode 215km today, but this felt very, very comfy. I even didn’t get a comment about the Bol d’Or handlebars I had mounted replacing the original ones. My seating position is more upright and relaxed, not to speak of the new seat. Now I just need to put back the fairing and I’ll be in LD heaven 🙂 . Well, in the meantime I was painting the fairing: grinding, two layers of primer, one layer of black (all applied manually) and then one layer of sprayed black – and then the disaster happened – the freshly applied layer wrinkled within seconds!!! All the hours of work for nothing…I ground the wrinkles after drying, but I have a 3D painting now. Whatever, not everybody has such a unique fairing, ehem …The reason was most likely that the first black layer was not dry enough and/or the two paints were not compatible.

The prepared fairing....

The prepared fairing….

...after two layers of primer...

…after two layers of primer…

....after the first layer of black paint...still everything OK.........

….after the first layer of black paint…still everything OK………

...and after the last sprayed black layer! Buaaaa!

…and after the last sprayed black layer! Buaaaa!

What else? I had received the Krista LED light and mounted them. Unfortunately, I had not taken a picture, but I will post one later. The lights are amazing, night becomes day! This is some serious stuff.

I also tried to squeeze the Dispatch distribution box under the seat, but this is tricky despite the smaller battery. this will be one of the next challenges. I have also changed tyres and I have spare tyres for the next months. I have received the temporary insurance for the bike in June/July.

From now on, the serious preparation on the bike starts…

Advertisements

Farkle time…


The SPOT GPS tracker (in the centre). And the mounted auxiliary tank.

The SPOT GPS tracker (in the centre). And the mounted auxiliary tank.

Details are important. Since the last update, I focussed on the bike and some small improvements and electric farkles.

I received the Spot Messenger, a little GPS tracker. It will give me some extra bonus points and you can follow my track when I „and the XBR blaze a path across America“ (R. Roalfe) . I will put a link on the blog, but, you’ve got to send me an e-mail to receive the password for the map with the tracking info. I tested it during the ski tour in Tyrol last week and it seems to work quite well.

Example of the tracking function of the SPOT.

Example of the tracking function of the SPOT.

In order to store the Dispatch 1 solution (see last post) under the saddle, I need more space there. I wanted to exchange the battery preventively, so I chose to buy an odyssey pure lead battery. It is not only more reliable and safer than a classic battery, but it is also 6 cm lower in height, that’s where I plan to install the electrical distribution box.

The stronger and smaller Odyssey pure lead battery.

The stronger and smaller Odyssey pure lead battery.

The contacts were a bit tricky to fix, but in the end I found a way to connect the cables to the battery.

I checked with Russell seats that my old saddle has arrived well and they confirmed that my super-comfort all-day-long saddle is being built at the moment.

I checked again the LED headlight and I came to the conclusion that I will leave it as it is at the moment. The glass lens in front of the lamp does make sense as the LED provides a very focussed spot in the middle which is better distributed with the additional lens.

Connecting brace to reduce buffeting of the winshield.

Connecting brace (in the middle) to reduce buffeting of the windshield. And the AQUABOX.

During my test rides, I noticed that the windshield is buffeting. Following an idea of Heinz, I constructed a brace that connects the windshield with the cockpit. It seems to work very well.

I have received my order from RAM Mount: some usual connectors, but also a SPOT mount and the AQUABOX to protect the smartphone from the rain. The fixing of the mounts to the fairing was a bit tricky, but in the end I had to conclude „now we are getting somewhere!“. There will be more things mounted in the cockpit, but one can get an idea how it will look like in the end.

The cockpit view in the current state (to be continued).

The cockpit view in the current state (to be continued).

IMGP9265